Your nose knows.



Our sense of smell is the most powerful of all the senses, even humor, lol.  Have you ever walked the local mall or gone to a friends house and someone's mom is baking bread, oh my, scrumptious. That smell, the warm, wondrous fresh feeling of bringing you back to the days of maybe four or five years old, when you went to your grandparent's hour or even great grandparent's house.  Possibly you were at another relative's home and they would have huge gatherings for the holidays.

The smell of home cooked bread would fill the air through out the entire house and it would be so warm and toasty in the house that the door would have to be opened up to let in the Autumn breeze, then the crisp leaves would fly across the back yard and you could smell those too, you know the smell,  the golden colors mixed in with some browns and reds, deep reds and purples crunching when walked or ran in them.  That smell, fresh, clean, crisp, a walk through the park perfect 70 degree not too hot or cold, light sweater on with a pair of jeans and the whole neighborhood playing football in the yard, that smell.  The smell of laughter and family, smiles and jokes, the smell of friendships bonding and new love blooming and mother's teaching daughter's their grandmother's secret recipe for the 3rd time this year, because it was never written down, ever.

Does this take you back?  It does for me, every time I get the urge to bake bread, which I do quite often I have to say.  I love to bake and cook and craft, thanks mom, by the way.  She was that role model to me that all the kids loved and wanted, at the same time worked her ass off to support us not too far down the road after becoming the single mom.  I love you more each day mom.  The nose is a powerful thing and I can say mine is more powerful than a lot of them, it is bigger (hehe), or so i've been told and by the doctor (yup, straight out, you have quite a large nose), oh gee, glad you noticed.  You have big teeth doc, but I didn't bill you for that one, lmao.  Well, unless this was the dentist of course, whole other story.

Bread, vanilla, coconut, oranges, cigar smoke, gas (yeah strange one), beer, dirt (racing that is), and I can go on, all of these odors are near and dear to my heart and bring back such memories, one or two might have a not so happy memory attached, but so many more great ones that they over rule the bad, that I could care less about the bad ones.  I can go buy a coconut, or coconut shampoo and it bring me right back to the day that my mom, her friend, my sister and I went on vacation and to visit my brother while he was in boot camp during his Army days.  I can still remember what he looked like and the fact that I had on one of those Jerseys with the 3/4 sleeves, they were lavender by the way,  and we drove all the way there.

Enjoying the trip, I can remember using shampoo that my mom had brought that smelled like coconut everyday and loving it.  This was the first time I ever used such great shampoo as she didn't want to over pack so we all shared.  We visited with my brother, took pictures, had fun, went to the beach and just had the best time ever.  Getting ready to head home, I left the shampoo in the hotel room and I got in trouble.  I will never forget it.  This to me is something that always, I mean always just pops in my head whenever the smell of coconut is in the air and even more so if I am washing my hair with coconut shampoo, absolutely crazy I say.  But the best moments in my life that trip, spending time with my family.  

No comments:

18 and Knowing It All The days of having 12, 13, 14 or more kids of more of a thing of the past; today, even four or five kids ...