Who's the boss?



Wide open question there, I know, but you can go off in many directions on this one. Today my thinking is directed toward work. The industry in which we wake, drink coffee, tea, and or energy drinks then run out the door to our ever-loving place of employment. As for me, hehe, don't hate me, I stay home and do this. No, I don't get paid to write, I LOVE to write. I do this for free. Yes, free, and I do enjoy it thoroughly. For the rest of you, you may or may not love your job. One can only wish that you love your job.

There are so many types of jobs and positions within these said jobs. Remembering back when I worked, I always enjoyed my job, no matter what it was. Marketing was my favorite out of them all, after all I did go to college for this. Not that I sold something to people, because all of my positions were within sales of some sort, but that I was able to enhance or magnify so to speak, the different aspects or great ideas. Me, I can sell anything. Ask Linda, lol. She was my best reference, ever!

I can remember the day I had left there (one company) and had gone on an interview, I will always put down where I am working at that time, because you either want me to work there or not, I will tell you I am leaving, always. I will never lie, nor hold anything over your head. Dedicated and a hard worker, but there are times when you have to leave for family matters, hours, etc. It happens. Here I am, in the interview and they will let me know once they verify my references, talk to other possible hires and let me know in about a week. Feeling confident, I leave, go back to work and no worries. The only reason for my leaving was to go full-time and everyone knew. The very next morning, I get a call from the regional (district, maybe, can't remember which title) manager, to have another interview. I'm now in awe, of course I go. Sitting in this huge room, I go in this office full of four or five people and they start talking to me asking me what I want from them. I was floored. I know I am a great worker, always have been, but just amazed. We go over everything and they ask when I can start. I give them a date, as I had some ads that had to be finished and couldn't leave my current boss hanging. Everything was awesome, and I had to ask them. What was their deciding factor and reasoning for such quick call-back and hire. They tell me that they spoke to my office manager Linda. Besides the fact that she will cry when I leave, they asked her how I was, the normal questions, which were all great. Then they asked her how my sales skill were, well, she responded with, "She could sell ice cubes to an Eskimo in a blizzard"! That was it, I started laughing, that's Linda, love her! Tell it like it is. They had told me no one had ever given them an answer like that ever before. I started with them a few weeks later and loved my job.

Having great bosses have always been a plus for me. If it weren't for them teaching me great things, it would have taken me on a different path in life. Most of them let me do my own thing, work my own way, style and this worked for me.  How is your boss? Does he or she treat you with respect? Do they give you the correct tools for learning? Do they teach you or do you teach them? Should you have the best of both worlds? Understanding people should be number one on every level, not just at work. How well do you work at your job? Do you enjoy going to work? These questions and more you should ask yourself.

Today, the workforce is so different than it was 20 years ago. People seem to be less productive and complain more, as if they deserve more for less work. Remembering my step-dad, being a millwright, he worked in a nuclear power plant, yes you read that right, nuclear. He worked directly on the core. Imagine that. You can't can you, being right there, radiation. I can never once remember him complaining about how shitty his job was, how underpaid he was or how he was treated unfair because they cut his hours. I would like to see you go do that, half of what he did, even a third. The man was a genius, seriously, he had taken many, many tests and scored so high, it was superior levels, Einstein levels. Yet, not one complaint about working, on the generators of a nuclear reactor. Hmmm, and I hear at least 2-3 times a week from someone I know random rants about some lame things, "Suzie" did at work and they got promoted for it, yet they have been there for seven years and can't seem to get a 50 cent raise. Hey!, get off your lazy ass and put a hint of extra effort into it, just something more, maybe showing that you actually appreciate your job. Productivity shows! (Phew, ranting today, lol,) Oh, and my step-dad, has since passed away, from of course, cancer.

There aren't too many of you out there that go above and beyond your job duties. I only know a couple of people who do this. Kudos to you! ;)  (you know who you are)


Who's the boss? Does your boss give you the credit you deserve or take your well deserved credit? If they take your credit, what do you do? What should you do? How do you go about being acknowledged? Should you mention that the idea, task at hand and or project (entire and or bulk) was because of you and or your skill-set. If you're the boss, do you take the credit for someone else's work, you know like plagiarism in college? Although you don't actually plagiarize, you just re-organize their words.  Good students will gather information and put it all together and write something well, while great students will do something all together different.

Scenario (psst, you know who this is): You're the boss, your boss shows up, gives you a list of projects to complete. Easy, peasy you're thinking, because you are one of those hands-on bosses, not the sit-in-your-office while you hand out jobs to everyone else type bosses. You know this will get done. Time goes by, poof, 25 more projects get tacked on, oh, just because you boss thinks ohhh, why not. Still you're not sweating it (on the inside you really are somewhat freaking out, just not saying anything). OH, they your boss decides to give you a time limit, still, your good. POOF, your boss's boss just shows up unannounced, and voila you are still ok, but guess what, your boss, freaks out and decides to start "helping" you. As if he has been all the time. Hmmm, now what. Do you confront your boss? Do you let the big boss know that oh he recently jumped in since you showed up. I mean what is going on? Is you boss making you look bad, good, none of the above? What is happening? Who do you confront, no one, everyone? Will the big boss know you originally were the one who did everything and "Guido" just hopped in to look good. Or was he truly trying to help? Was he told to be there? Are you being tested to see if you will say something, where do your loyalties lay? Me, I would just say, hey, so glad corporate sent you here to help. Oil only needs to be placed where there is a squeak. Karma always finds its way back around.

I do love me some great karma.

No comments:

18 and Knowing It All The days of having 12, 13, 14 or more kids of more of a thing of the past; today, even four or five kids ...