Giving back to the needy



Giving back to the needy is something I do quite often.  Not only do I give monetarily, but I volunteer a lot.  Sometimes too much I have been told.  Lately I have evaluated my life and decided to curtail my volunteering quite a bit.  I have condensed what I do and decided to only volunteer at one museum instead of two and for one church rather than three or four.  I know, where did I get the time.  I do not go to church every week, but love when I do go.  I recently helped scrape and repaint the entire basement and food pantry of a local church, the proceeded to make 12' X 9' curtains along with six matching sets of panels for the windows that were all bare in the basement.  This was where the functions took place, so having bare windows was quite creepy.  It looks incredible now for them plus gives them privacy.  Prior to that the paint had been there so long, that it was actually falling off the walls.  One of my best girlfriends had been going there for years and asked if I would help her out, well of course she knew I would, one because she is one of my best friends and two they seriously needed the help.  A small local church that only depends on what small contributions they receive during tidings.  I received great joy and pleasure in making the curtains and painting for them and especially seeing the look on all their faces when it was done.  Just the pure appreciation from them was incredible.  A few others jumped in and helped paint from time to time and one other person paid for the paint.  I found this to be wonderful.

Yesterday, Sunday, I went to service and not to preach, because I do not by any means, believe me, but its been a while since I was there. A man was talking about having a class to talk about giving,  people who give too much, BINGO, were they talking to me, lol!  I inquired about this later of course to find out what this was about, just being curious.  It is just a short class about why we give to people, the needy.  Do we do it because we need to ourselves, are we a servant or a sucker? Holy crap!  Okay, I can handle that, am I a sucker.  I an sitting here laughing, no really I give all the time, up until recently, like I said.  I guess I was supposed to go yesterday.  It had been at least 5 weeks or so since I had been to a service.  I mentioned before I get sick and in a lot of pain, so I don't leave my home quite often in the winter months.

I guess I will stop by this class just to "check it out".  Boy am I a sucker or what, lmao!  I will help the needy as long as the needy can help themselves.  If you, anyone for that matter, is in need, any time in their lives, because, I for one know, we all need a hand from time to time, physically, emotionally, mentally or otherwise unstated, I will help you, but if you are unwilling to help yourself, I will not come back and help you again.  This in my mind means you are unwilling to help yourself move forward in your life.  I will cut the cord and let you fly on your own.  It is hard, yes, but I have done it and tough love is the way it has to be.  Social Services should be a stepping stone not a way of life.  In my eyes, there should be a limit, whether a time limit or monetary limit, there should be one.  Send them to school, job place them, give them day care, something, not a permanent crutch.  Life is too short and people get stuck in ruts way to fast.  Give a man fish and feed them for a day, teach a man to fish and feed them for a life time.

No comments:

18 and Knowing It All The days of having 12, 13, 14 or more kids of more of a thing of the past; today, even four or five kids ...