18 and knowing it all!

Do you remember being 18?  I swear I was younger when I thought I knew it all, but now that my kids, I have 2 teenage daughters that are 16 and 18, my oldest thinks she knows oh so much better than I do.

Me, I think I was about 16, 17 when I thought I knew better or at least enough to move out and take on the world and of course I didn't until I was 18 or close to it and by then I was working two jobs and going to school so I could support myself because I knew I had no choice.



As for my oldest, well she just thinks its going to be easy I'm guessing, because every other day I hear that she's going to move out because she's 18 and an adult.  Bwha ha ha ha, an adult, maybe in numbers as per law and thats about it.  She has a job, 2 days a week sometimes 3 if she is needed and even then its not set in stone.  She seems to think that she can afford her car, car insurance, a cell phone, an apartment, utilities, food, and ohhhhh drive back and forth to said job when they need her (hmmmm ok then).  But she knows so much better.  I and her dad, my ex, support her and all her bills and I mean all of her bills.  All I as is that she don't give me an attitude, keep good grades in school, keep a part-time job as long as she is a full time student and RESPECT me, oh and live my my rules, my home: my rules.  I really don't ask for much. I do not say a word about her room except of there is food laying around (seasonal bugs, maybe ants), but the bathroom to be clean and clean up after themselves.  Dishes and they do their own laundry.  All the rest I do.  I cook and clean.  Oh, we all take care of the dogs we have.  Other than this there is really nothing.  They have cell phones and computers (no computers in rooms, nor cable in rooms).  They don't want for anything, but I do ask the above things like I said.  It isn't that hard.  I mean, no rent, I cook and I don't charge a dime.  What more could you ask for?

This is where is becomes in my mind funny.  My oldest says, well I would like to be able to just leave my stuff wherever and not clean if I want to.  OH, OK!  But, you don't do that now unless I say something, so what the heck is the difference?  I have to ask for the dogs to get fed or taken out to go pee or for the garbage to get taken out.  I mean really if you move out, who is going to do that then?  Your new maid.

At 18 when I moved out I knew exactly what I was doing because I had money saved before I moved and had 2 other roommates.  I shared the expenses and responsibilities for everything.  I worked quite well for me, I really don't think she has her head on straight, but hey more power to you and good luck.  Tough love is what I see.  You are my first born and I will miss you dearly if you go, but you may need a taste of the real world and have to fall flat on your ass to see that you may be an adult in numbers but in reality you are making the decision of a 16 year old because you have it made here and one thing you don't know is once you leave, that's it.  This is not a flophouse and I am not about to just let you come and go as you please because you think I will.  18 and knowing it all, remember if you know it all then you will know what to do in an emergency situation when you have nowhere to go.  I love you but tough love sucks so stick it out and remember I love you!

No comments:

18 and Knowing It All The days of having 12, 13, 14 or more kids of more of a thing of the past; today, even four or five kids ...