The 80s


The Breakfast Club, does anyone remember that one?  What a great movie.  I loved the 80s. This was my teenage years and the beginning of the better times in my life.  Hanging out with kids from a whole different financial status, racial backgrounds and was seemingly allowed now and was totally different than it is today.  But now that I look around, I mean really look around it really isn't so different.  Racial wise, people still get looked at, a lot.  I hear you talking in the diner and in Wal-Mart and Target.  No, I really hear you talking, because most of you are quite loud and the ones who aren't loud, well I do tend to stand a bit closer.  Do the rich date the poor?  Do the black date the white or even Mexican, Spanish or do we mix religious beliefs without thinking twice first?  Here's one for you how about a rich white girl with a poor black guy?  How many people would stereotype this relationship?  My guess is there are a lot of you still out there.  Not me, if you love someone, then you love them no matter what.  Treat the one you love with dignity and respect, that's what counts.  Remember Arthur, there's another good movie or Maid in Manhattan.  Well I am not poor (depends on who's counting), but I am far, far from being rich and I am not looking for hand outs.  I don't like the feeling of being needy, it makes me feel useless, alone and unable to care for myself.  I wrote this because I met someone who reminded me so much of one of the characters in The Breakfast Club, not their personality, but the look, the 80s look.  He had the look back then and it was so great.  Funny, great, the whole persona with the floppy mop hair, hanging out with the other "popular" kids.  He is the Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Breakfast Club type, well all grown up now.  I still see it and although he may not, I am still asking myself, why he asked me out?  I do love myself and take care of myself.  Sure, I have a great personality and great body, now, but am I your type?  Or should I say are you my type?  We dated recently and I had a great time, meeting new people, going to different places close to where I live that I had never been to before.  Even if the dating only goes as far as that, then I still thank him for introducing me to places and people that I would have never known.  So I can only say, thank you to myself for being alive and independent finally after all these years of being locked up in my own mind.  Nearly 25 years of the same thing bringing you down not thinking you were much more than negative with a good personality, well guess what world…here I am.  I do love the 80s.



No comments:

18 and Knowing It All The days of having 12, 13, 14 or more kids of more of a thing of the past; today, even four or five kids ...