No electric

In today's society we rely on electric.  We rely on electric and gas and a host of other resources.  Hurricane Sandy just wiped out many people's homes as well as leaving hundreds of thousands without pow  I know I was one of them.  I had no power for 11 days.  It took me three just to get a generator going, but even then I had to rely on gas, just to use that.  It didn't bother me much having to use the fireplace except for the ten times, if not more,  the smoke alarm went off because the wood wasn't seasoned enough.

I can't believe how much we use electric, gas, propane and oil.  It just simply amazes me.  My children on the other hand were just mad that they couldn't use the internet or catch up on "the shows" they watch.  It seemed everywhere I went people had the same issue, either they had lost it all or didn't lose a thing.  Crazy world we live in.  Make a phone call to try and find out when you might get electric back and yet the automated computer answers, yet even in a time of havoc.



Days go by and a week and still nothing.  There are people who lost their homes to fire and massive water damage all due to Sandy, what a bitch she was.  Were we not prepared or does society just overlook the fact that we can build wherever we want to and are invincible to the weather.

There is nothing more destructive than the weather, except humans.  We put ourselves in harm's way thinking we can be stronger than a hurricane that can produce yet other havoc wreaking storms which can only produce more damage.  This then disables all the resources we have only come to depend on for many years.  When did we become such a reliant society?

No comments:

18 and Knowing It All The days of having 12, 13, 14 or more kids of more of a thing of the past; today, even four or five kids ...